Saturday, July 31, 2004

"It is not just string...it is everything!"

As a general rule I stay out of stranger's business while shopping. I'm usually not in stores long enough to even hear a full conversation. And since online ordering became widely available I rarely am in the store more than 5 minutes. So, today pushed my threshold of "stay-out-of-it-ness".

Here was the situation: I was in a Leather store at an outlet center near where I live. I've been looking for a good pseudo-cycle jacket [read not for protection past 5 mph. Usually these jackets look nice but have no armor and very thin leather]. You know, to look like I was riding even when I drove a car. God, I need help ;) So, I'm at the wall with the "Biker" label on it and I hear a father say the following to his son, "You know, if you buy your bike jacket here you'll save around $200." And the son says, "Yeah, but will it [the jacket] work while I am riding my bike?" At this point I almost turned to say, "Yes, if you ride a Huffy." But I let it go. However, when the saleswoman came over to help she actually implies that these jackets will protect him while on the bike. She then follows up with this gem of a quote "I call this the @bercrombie Jacket. Look how it looks all scuffed and crashed in. It matches those jeans with the holes in them." Just what every rider wants-ALREADY CRASHED SAFETY GEAR. Oh Oh can I get a helmet that has big cracks in it to? How about perforated brake lines. And maybe we can hook the horn button up to a little flower that squirts water at me when I push it. That would be funny.

Now, I know that this leather will not hold up to pencil points much less rocks kicked up at 50 mph. And I'm pretty sure that somewhere on the jacket is the phrase "Not for crash protection". Should I have said something? YESSS!!! Did I? No....Because it was not my place to, not my kid, blah blah blah weanie cop-out. However, I now am faced with another choice. Do I go back to the store and inform the manager that salesperson may be giving out false information about their products? And if I do should I make sure that I wear/bring my jacket and show them the difference, and the scuff marks from my accident. I feel some sort of an obligation since I know first hand the difference good equipment can make in a accident situation. I mean if this guy, or anyone who buys one of these jackets, falls off his bike doing anything over 10 mph the only thing this jacket will do is melt to his skin, either that or the stitching will fail and entire sections of the jacket fall off. Or if anything hits him it will go right through the jacket. Thoughts, anyone. Bueller?


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home